Ultra-high precision, CNC grinding machine for single crystal diamond tool manufacture. The new PG4 enables the automated production of ultrahigh precision diamond tools.
Launched in 2016, the PG4 is an automatic, ultra-high precision grinding machine designed to meet the most sophisticated of demands from toolmakers working with natural or synthetic single crystal diamond (SCD), manufactured by either high pressure high temperature (HPHT) or chemical vapour deposition (CVD).
Drawing on our 75 years of experience in designing machines for grinding and polishing diamond and related ultra-hard materials, the PG4 now enables many of the laborious and time consuming processes, such as blocking out, to be fully automated and the subsequent final radius polishing to be completed without human intervention.
The PG4 uses high quality air bearings for both wheel spindle and the pivot which are essential pre-requisites for controlled and low waviness SCD tools. Programming is extremely simple and minimal training is required.
The PG4 is an ideal machine for SCD tool manufacturers who are looking to minimise production costs and use their skilled operators in more demanding areas.
Machine dimensions (w x d x h) – 790mm x 1310mm x 1900mm
Control tower dimensions (w x d x h) – 680mm x 610mm x 1910mm
Machine weight – 800kg
Control tower weight – 160kg
CNC control system – CNC control with Intel i7 processor running Coborn .net software on a Windows platform
Grinding wheel spindle – 2.0kW 0 – 12000 rpm programmable liquid cooled high-precision air spindle
Grinding wheel – Ø 85mm Metal bond wheel or cast iron lap
Pivot spindle – High-precision air spindle with radial error ≤ 0.00005mm
Lubrication – Manual grease lubrication system
Process inspection – Coborn integrated camera inspection system X60 to X600 magnification
Electrical requirements – 380 / 220 3phase 50/60 Hz 16amps
Mechanical options – Rotary axis (RM) programmable, Coning spindles (CS) manual, Work piece clamping systems
Software options – Rotary module, Profile contour deviation, Controlled/low waviness, Dxf.import (profile grind)
• For coning, cylindrical grinding and index positioning • Programmable rotation to 0.001° • Collet chuck to suit tools up to Ø16mm • Other adaptors available
• High quality, porosity free • Extremely long life, designed for dry grinding • Dynamically balanced to gyroscopic tolerances
• Cools tool shank using sub-zero compressed air • Removes thermal expansion effects • Programmable ‘on/off’
• For top lapping of SCD tools after radius grinding • Re-sharpening worn tools and general facet work • Adjustable planetary motion allows ‘set and leave’ operation
• Microscope with image analysis software to measure tool radius and radius waviness • Generates custom designed QC graphical data sheets which can then be supplied with the associated tool
• Synchronized pivot, planetary, traverse, infeed and rotary (RM) motions • Profile contour deviation